Thursday, April 22, 2010

bd's favourite potatoes

Every week, we get a delivery from Bryson's Organic Farm in Shawville. We've signed up for a two person basket, even though there are five of us, because we like to ease the children into new things. According to research I've read, it can take up to 20 tastes of a food before a child will tolerate the flavour of a new food on a regular basis. Kale took us a year and a bit. We are still working on cooked zuccini.

Anyway, we only get a two person portion of potatoes every week, so I save up the potatoes and we try to have this every two weeks or so...

8 medium potatoes, coarse chopped
2 largish onions, quartered
1 T safflower oil
1 T olive oil
5 grinds of the salt mill (1/2 t?)
2 grinds of the pepper mill (1/8 t?)
1/2 t dried basil leaves


I don't usually peel my potatoes, just cut out the yucky bits and green spots. It is an advantage to organic produce.

Once I've chopped the potatoes and onions, I put them in my round roasting pan with the lid. You know, the black enameled kind your grandmother probably used? That kind.

I rinse the veggies with cold water, in the pot, so there is a bit of water left on them, but they aren't sopping wet, then add everything else and stir it up.

I start up the BBQ and put it off heat. For those who don't know, that means I put it on the side that doesn't have the burners on, creating a bit of convection and reducing the chances that the bottom will burn before the potatoes are cooked.

The length of cooking time will vary, depending on the type and size of the potatoes, the ability of the Q you have and what else is on the grill. I generally leave it on for about an hour, shaking the pot and checking them every twenty minutes or so. They tend to caramelize nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment