Friday, June 11, 2010

basil dumplings

I love soup. When I make a broth based soup, I usually accompany it with bread, biscuits or dumplings. These dumplings are a family favourite. Last night, DS had three bowls of soup and dumplings, DD had two servings and BG just one.

I found the bones of this recipe in a magazine about a year ago. I've since altered it to reflect our preferences and this one goes very well with turkey vegetable soup...

1/2 c white flour
1/2 c whole wheat
1 t dried basil
1/2 t salt
3 eggs
4 T veg oil

In med bowl, combine the dry ingredients, stirring well.

In small bowl, beat together the eggs and oil until creamy.

Add wet to dry, stirring until smooth and sticky.

This part is important: drop by spoonfuls into BOILING soup. If the soup is not boiling, the batter will dissolve into the soup, resulting in a disgusting mess. trust me. Makes about ten T sized dumplings.

Cover and steam for 3-5 minutes.

Serve out in a bowl with the soup.

These are also fantastic with an Italian herb blend in a minestrone soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment