Tuesday, January 26, 2010

cabbage

MMMM. I like cabbage. raw, cooked doesn't matter. It's just sooo yummy. It also makes you toot! How can you go wrong?!?
I have a few favourite cabbage recipes, but if I don't write down last night's it'll fall out of my head and I may forget how I made it. That would be sad as B liked it enough to take it as leftovers today. That's a rarity. B does not like cabbage as much as I do, but then again, can anybody?

1/2 shredded green cabbage
8 cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 T veg oil
1 T cornstarch
1 T rice vinegar
1 t honey
1-2 T dark mushroom soy sauce
1 glug fish sauce
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4? 1/2? c water

heat oil in skillet. I always start my cooking on medium and adjust from there. Sometimes pots distribute the heat differently, just to annoy me, I think.
I used my cast iron because I worry about how much iron we get in our diet.
I added the cabbage and mushrooms, tossed it lightly to coat with oil and put the lid on for a few minutes to steam the cabbage a bit.
I wandered away, put away some playdo, came back, tossed the cabbage a bit more. It was wilting nicely but still not perfect. I couldn't smell it yet.
I took the ham out of the oven, mashed the potatoes(saving the water for my sourdough starter)
Oh, starting to smell a bit sticky, like it was thinking about burning, which is just about perfect, stir, stir, stir.
I mixed up the other stuff in a lidded jar and dumped it in, stir, stir, stir. The first addition was too thick when the heat hit it, so I added more water. Had I had it, I would have used veg stock to round out the flavour, but I didn't. maybe next time.
I put the lid back on, reduced heat to low and let the starch cook down, about 3 minutes I think. stirring about once a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment