Sunday, March 7, 2010

lasagna

We had friends over for dinner the other night. I thought I'd make pasta. I like pasta. Almost as much as I like cabbage, but I generally won't sunject friends to that! I had lots of time and it was a nice day, so got a bit creative...

1 eggplant, cubed
2 onions, sliced
6 small beets, diced
5 small carrots, chopped
2 T olive oil

350 g tub of quark
2 t pesto
1/2 c shredded marble cheese
1/4 c romano
2 eggs

tin of sauce (I was feeling lazy)
box of lasagna noodles

1/2 c grated cheese

I combined the first 5 ingredients in my big roasting pan, covered it and put it in the oven at 400*F for 50 minutes.

Boil the water for the pasta. I use the kind that needs to be boiled as I find the ready to use stuff gets pasty if the consistency of your sauce isn't perfect. I get annoyed when that happens. The boil yourself noodles are a lot more forgiving. slightly more work but worth it.

Combine the next group of ingredients. Usually I use cottage cheese, but I made the mistake of looking on the ingredients list and couldn't make myself buy it this time. The quark had ingredients I could pronounce and find in my kitchen.

In my beautiful 9x13 red ceramic casserole dish I layered
sauce
noodles
cheese mixture
noodles
vegetables
noodles
cheese mixture
noodles
sauce
noodles
vegetables
noodles
sauce
grated cheese

I put a few toothpicks through the centre line to hold up the tin foil, put tin foil on to cover it and put it in the oven for 1/5 hours at 350*F. Took the foil off for the last 10 minutes to brown the cheese.

If I make this again, I would probably mix the veg in the sauce and use more cheese as a binding agent.
It was delicious nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment