Thursday, October 7, 2010

hubby's sore mouth

DH had some dental surgery last Friday, and he is supposed to eat soft bland foods for the next little while as it heals. It has had an impact on what we are eating, which is too bad. The last few days have been awesome BBQ weather days, Thanksgiving is coming up, and well having to eat bland food has meant none of our standard fare-curries or chilies. Boo.
So far, we have had several different kinds of soup-cream of broccoli, pea soup and potato-corn soup, stuffed shells, texas hash, noodle-salmon casserole and last night we had green eggs and roasted vegetables. It should have been green eggs and ham, but DH cannot eat even sliced ham. I suppose I could have made the green eggs as a quiche, but then I would have had to make a pie shell from scratch. Not when the kids are grousing about, "I'm hungry."

Green eggs

1/4 c milk
1 c chopped spinach (I used fresh)
6 eggs
about 2 oz of cheddar
1 medium minced onion
1 t oil

Beat eggs and milk together in med bowl.
Heat oil in favourite non-stick skillet, saute onions till they are just the way you like them. Add the spinach, stir until wilted.
Add egg mixture, stirring often. When most of the egg has cooked, but it is still slimy (for lack of a better word) add the cheese, stirring it in as well. I suppose you could cook the egg a bit more and then just lay the cheese on top, but I like my eggs to be cheesy and I didn't want the kids to pick off the cheese and only eat that.

Served with roasted squash potatoes sweet potatoes and roasted garlic, it was a very colourful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment