Thursday, September 23, 2010

pasta pie

On the menu plan for tonight, it was supposed to be a veggie stir fry and rice. Then I looked in the crisper, and the main veggies for the stir fry were the same four that I had used in yesterday's meal and Monday's meal. The kids had already seen them twice and I wasn't taking any chances for rejection. I changed tonight's meal at 6 and it was on the table at 7, served with salad and crudites for the kids.

1 350 g WW spaghetti or other favourite pasta shape
1-2 c water
1 c chopped summer squash
1 c chopped carrot
1 c chopped green beans
1 c broccoli
1 c chopped fresh tomato
1 c cottage cheese
1 c shredded cheese
3 eggs
2 T bread crumbs

While the water was coming to a boil for the pasta, I started chopping up my veggies and throwing them in the pot with 1-2c water.
I put the noodles in the boiling water and started preheating my oven at 350F.
When the veggies were cooked enough that I could blend it up, that's what I did, with my handy dandy immersion blender.
As luck would have it, the veggies, noodles and oven were ready at the same time.
I drained the noodles and tossed them in the hot pureed veggies, then dumped the coated noodles in my 9*13 casserole dish. I could have greased the pan, I suppose, but it's a gorgeous ceramic dish that just doesn't burn.
In a separate bowl, I mixed the eggs and cheeses, then dumped that on top of the hot noodles and quickly stirred them together.
I sprinkled my crumbs on top to curb the "but mommy, I don't like crunchy noodles" crew and placed it in the oven for 1/2 an hour, uncovered.
I took it out of the oven and let it set for about 10 minutes.
It made enough for all five of us to have seconds, three of us for lunches tomorrow (at their request) and one extra serving for some lucky man's breakfast:)

Making this again, I would probably sub 1/2 the shredded cheese for a romano or parmesan; and added a cup of onions and a few cloves of garlic to my veggies pot. I may put in 1/2 a teaspoon of thyme and a pinch of rosemary and a few good twists of pepper next time as well.
Our cottage cheese was 1% mf and low sodium, and I don't add salt to my pasta water.

No comments:

Post a Comment